Exactly 1 year ago today I became a wife. I remember the day like it was yesterday, the nerves, the excitement, the pride at walking down the aisle with my Dad by my side then into the hands of my future husband and then elation at walking down the aisle knowing we had done it, we were husband and wife!
So over the last year I have come to realise some of the reasons I love being married. I know I’m still a newbie to this but this is just how I feel about it all;
1. I love my new name. My old name meant very little to me, infact it was a constant reminder of my birth father who I have no contact with and haven’t seen since I was 16. I thought it was me, it was who I was but since changing my name I’ve realised it was just a name, it wasn’t me, I’m still the same me just without the tie of a name I never liked. I feel more confident and sure announcing my name now than I have done in my whole life.
2. I love how it started off feeling alien, to say I had a husband made me feel old, different and I wasn’t immediately comfortable saying it, over the phone, in conversation or to someone new. Now I love being able to say I have a husband. The security and pride I feel every time I can say the words “my husband” is something I hope never goes away.
3. I feel like I’m providing a secure, stable and happy home for T showing her how you can be happy before marriage, (we were together 3 years before our wedding day) and after being married. Our family has just got closer and closer since our wedding day and we talk about it all the time along with making references to being married, how Scott is my husband and I’m his wife and T is learning how being married means you are in a happy relationship full of love, fun and teamwork.
4. I feel like marriage brings us closer as a team. We look out for each other, the house is ran together, parenting is a joint responsibility, looking after our puppy is a team effort and any problems or issues that come up are faced together as a team. There is no longer a separation or independence but a togetherness that means we can face any challenges that come our way.
5. I married my soul mate. I’ve had ups and downs with friendships and even friendships end since I’ve been married but I know I will always have my husband by my side. Whether it’s to cuddle under a blanket and listen to my worries or take me and the dog on a long walk round the lake one evening holding hands and watching the sunset I know he will always be there for me.
6. I love that we have so much more to come! We are just at the beginning and even though we want to do it all now we have the rest of our lives to build more amazing memories and keep making each other happy.